Golf started at 'Hallowes' in 1890/1891 when local enthusiasts approached farmer Ashton of Hallowes for permission to play over his fields. Subsequently a golf club named Dronfield Golf Club was formed by the Easter of 1892 and consisted of 9 holes in the fields currently used by the 2nd 3rd, 16th, 17th, 18th and 4th holes. The initial 'Clubhouse' was a tent, then later a rented room. The Membership at this time consisted of just 35 golfers.
By the autumn of 1896 the course had been extended to 18 holes and it was decided to change the name to Hallowes Golf Club. In 1898 the application to join the Yorkshire Union of golf clubs was accepted.
Additional land was rented in the early 1900s but this also remained in use by the farmer and, therefore, animals, sheep, horses, grazing cattle and haystacks were the hazards of the course.
In 1906 another 20 acres of land was leased and with this the 9th, 10th, 15th and 16th were created, expanding the course an additional half mile to just over 3 miles. A new 18th hole was developed, proper tees built and tree planting commenced in 1911. By 1913 the course had vastly improved and became known as one of the more interesting in the district. Membership had increased to 267.
In 1920 the land consisting of the 5th, 15, and 16th holes, plus another additional field were purchased, and by 1925 plots of 19.5, 42 and 114 acres were obtained and when added to the 19.5 already owned totalled 195 acres. The course was remodelled in 1932 and lengthened to 6,000 yards.
Test drilling to the sub-strata for water took place in 1935 and was so successful that we still obtain all our water requirements for the course to this day.
In 1941, 18 acres of land consisting of the 1st and 2nd holes was commandeered by the War Office and ploughed up for the production of food. This was returned to the Golf Club in 1954 after which the 1st hole and the practice area were established. All the courses bunkers were emptied and refilled with new sand.
The last major alteration to the course was in 1972 when the Dronfield Bypass was constructed and this caused the loss of the 6th and 9th holes, the 7th tee and the 10 hole except for the green. Replacement holes were constructed and this section of the course opened in August 1973.